Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Day 4: Paso Robles to Santa Maria

After a cold and windy night at the
Mid-State Fairgrounds in Paso Robles, I felt somewhat unprepared for what was planned to be the longest ride of the entire week, and my longest one-day ride ever (since Monday's 109-miler was curtailed due to weather). I hit the road anyway, and by mid-morning I had successfully climbed the so-called Evil Twins on Highway 46 --they're "evil" because there are actually four of them. These were followed by a 10-mile descent, near the end of which I got a flat tire. ALC riders being who they are, it wasn't long until a lovely older lady called Mary stopped to help me change it.

A few miles later, we were back on the coast for the first time since Santa Cruz. After a quick lunch just north of San Luis Obispo (the flat tire had me running late), I rode southward through a series of cute little coastal towns, ending up at Rest Stop 4 in the predominantly Latino town of Gonzales. Then a quick 12-mile cruise into Santa Maria with strong tailwinds brought this 97-mile day to a close. Not quite a century, but close enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment